“The feminine is about the connection among all things.”
Where are you in life? Where are you headed?
Traditionally, there have been four faces of femininity: Maiden, Mother, and Crone. These archetypes define the feminine mindset: wants, needs, and what is required for fulfillment.
Our culture places a certain value on each of these stages. Oftentimes, this value is based on desirability rather than one’s personal desires. Traditionally, femininity is overwhelmingly undervalued. Now, that’s beginning to change.
In this episode, I talk with Dr. Anita Johnston. She breaks down all three of these archetypes and adds in a fourth: the Queen. Anita explains each stage, what it means, and even includes some of her own personal experiences within each stage. Together, we discuss the social value placed on each individual stage, and how those values are swiftly transforming today.
Take a listen to learn more about the true value in your past, present, and future self in relation to your sacred femininity.
About Dr. Anita Johnston:
Anita Johnston is a clinical psychologist and a certified eating disorder specialist and supervisor. She has done some incredible work in the field of women’s issues and eating disorders for the last 35 years. In Guam, where she was raised, she experienced life in a matriarchal culture. She experienced the power and value of femininity, which shaped her worldview and desire to help others.
Currently, Dr. Anita Johnston is the clinical director of Ai Pono Hawaii Eating Disorder programs. She is also co-creator of The Light of the Moon Café, which is a series of online, interactive courses, women support circles, and soul hunger workshops. Additionally, she is also the author of the bestselling book Eating in the Light of the Moon.
Some Questions I Ask:
• What drew you to focus on and create the four faces of the sacred feminine? (3:53)
• What do you mean by the sacred feminine, divine feminine, and psyche? (5:09)
• What exactly are the four faces? (10:52)
• How do the roles of the Maiden and the Mother interplay? (19:34)
• What do healthy and unhealthy displays of the Mother archetype look like? (23:58)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
• About Anita’s childhood within a matriarchal culture. (4:04)
• How the feminine archetypal energy crosses culture and time. (5:26)
• Why awareness can lead to valuing feminine archetypes. (10:22)
• How archetypes are demonstrated through fairy tales and in reality. (11:01)
• About the Maiden, Mother, Queen, and Crone archetypes. (13:46)
• How the flipping priority of desires to desirability impacts self-esteem. (15:45)
• About the struggle of balancing your own needs with another’s needs. (19:52)
• Why the Queen seeks to fulfill the soul. (29:56)
• How the Crone functions as a bridge between the material and spiritual worlds. (34:53)
Episode 59: Cracking the Hunger Code Through Storytelling and Metaphor
Dr. Anita Johnston’s Website
Eating in the Light of the Moon by Dr. Anita Johnston
Circle of Stones: Woman’s Journey to Herself by Judith Duerk
New Crescent Moon Course with Dr. Anita Johnston
Tour of Light of the Moon Café