Welcome to the podcast! Today I’m very excited to be joined by Galen Fous, MTP. Galen is considered one of America’s leading sex educators, psychotherapists & sex researchers on understanding the unconscious psychological dynamics of kink, fetish and D/s-BDSM sexuality.
Galen is the author of two books: “Decoding Your Kink – Guide to Explore, Share and Enjoy Your Wildest Sexual Desires” and “The Sharp Edge of Love – Extreme Sex, Mythic Passion, Primal Intensity.”
He regularly presents at sexuality related conferences, lectures at universities and grad schools on sex-positive topics, and has been interviewed in numerous media for his innovative views on conscious sexuality and the nature of fetish sexuality
Galen frames his scholarly understandings of sexual identity and expression in the contexts of myth, history and the mediating power of social and psychological constructions. His contributions are made more powerful with his compelling sense of the contemporary and rapid shifts in what is and isn’t sexually taboo.
As a therapist, Galen helps his clients shift from compulsive, dishonest, risky sexual behaviors to authentic sexual expression, and heal from the decades of fear, shame and judgments that held their authentic desire back.
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- How the sexual unconscious is calling for our attention
- What drew Galen to work in this area
- The Personal Erotic Myth survey and what it brings to light
- Moving beyond friction sex
- The role of the unconscious in fetish sexuality
- Understanding the PEM (Personal Erotic Myth)
- Consequences of suppressing the PEM
- How what happens at a person’s orgasm is a clue into their PEM
- Sexual honesty, sexual dishonesty, sexual authenticity, and sexual integrity
- The importance of paradox within the PEM
- The significance of negotiated, consensual engagement and dialogue in conscious sexuality.
- The gift of being able to express yourself authentically