“Be willing to let go of who you think you should be, in order to become who you are.” ~ Brene Brown
Authenticity refers to being real or genuine; true to your deepest nature.
It matters because when you are authentic, you are living your life aligned with who you really are. You can create a life that aligns with what matters most to you and not based on the expectations or agendas of others.
Some benefits of an authentic life are:
- relationships are more meaningful because others love and accept you based on who you really are.
- you make decisions aligned with your needs, wants, and dreams.
- you free yourself of the opinions and expectations of others.
- you realize that your feelings, wants, and needs have value.
- you become comfortable saying what’s on your mind and asking for what you need or want.
- you feel better about yourself because you accept yourself, flaws and all.