In this episode of Women In-Depth, Lourdes Viado & Carmen Schmidt Benedetti continue their podcast series on Complex Trauma and Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs). Today they discuss where our anxiety comes from and why it matters.
Dr. Lourdes Viado is a psychotherapist for anxious and overwhelmed highly sensitive women in Las Vegas, Nevada. She is a Myers-Briggs Typology Indicator (MBTI) Certified Practitioner and integrates Jungian psychology, mindfulness, neuroscience, and astrology into her work with clients. She is also the host of the Women In-Depth Podcast: Conversations about the Inner Lives of Women, which has been downloaded over 350,000x in 96 countries.
Carmen Schmidt Benedetti is a psychotherapist for highly sensitive womxn in Sonoma County, California. She helps them to heal layers of unrecognized childhood trauma and create calm, balance and stability in their life. As a Certified EMDR therapist, Carmen guides adults in reframing their past from an empowered perspective, coming to believe they are ‘good enough’ and their needs and feelings matter
Topics discussed in this episode:
- The relationship between anxiety and trauma and the HSP trait (1:45)
- The importance of understanding the different types of anxiety and the brain in order to reduce anxiety (4:38)
- Cortex-based anxiety (5:49)
- Some times for reducing cortex-cased anxiety (9:23)
- Amygdala-based anxiety (10:49)
- Differences between amygdala-based and cortex-based anxiety (20:56)
- Some tips for reducing amygdala-based anxiety (25:52)
- Treating the root of anxiety versus treating the symptoms of anxiety (30:04)
- How the HSP trait impacts understanding and healing from anxiety and trauma (33:14)
Carmen’s website: https://carmenschmidtmft.com/
“Rewire Your Anxious Brain: How to Use the Neuroscience of Fear to End Anxiety, Panic, and Worry” is available on Amazon or your favorite independent bookseller