My guest today is Dr. Nicolle Zapien, psychotherapist, certified sex therapist, and college professor at the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco, CA. Dr. Zapien talks about a topic that affects many people: infidelity. Specifically, we take a closer look at the process a person goes through when choosing to have an extramarital affair. Join us for this compelling conversation!
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- The questions that really matter about relationships usually involve betrayal and infidelity
- Why these issues matter SO much
- How to create a safe container for hurt feelings
- Why perception lies at the heart of the matter
- What is monogamy and what is betrayal?
- Why this area is difficult for therapists to address
- Nicolle’s research studies and findings
- The motivation to have an affair: the beginning
- Commonality: lackluster sex and connection
- Why one partner sees himself/herself as entitled to a novel experience
- “And then IT happened . . .”
- The process: a series of steps
- Being mindful of an erotic atmosphere
- Flirting: What is it and when is it dangerous?
- Nicolle’s sex educator certificate track, beginning in January!
- Why very few couples are able to work through these issues
- Why so many couples can’t negotiate eroticism safely
- How to teach negotiation through shared experiences and how technology HINDERS these skills
Email Nicolle: email@example.com